imagineafterwords

Alice: Imagine Afterwords

I'm always looking for "the" book that will sweep me off my feet and this takes much more than the typical romance. A good adventure book though is close enough to do the trick.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

This review is long overdue.

Not that I thought the book was bad but because I struggled to continue reading it. This was my car ride book. It was sitting on my shelf for awhile now and the library due date was coming up so I wanted to at least read it. After a couple of chapters in I kept putting the book down after each chapter then forcing myself to pick it back up and read.

I typically don't read contemporary because there is often some drama or angst associated with the drama. Maybe also a bit for the insta-attraction. However, Fangirl left me in a overly giddy phase that I wanted to read another contemporary. I decided to give this a try because I always saw the book/series being mentioned on booktube.

I liked the idea of Anna studying abroad because there is just that level of fascination attached with studying abroad. The idea of immersing oneself into a wholly different language/culture is scary but adventurous at the same time. I was intrigued at the sightseeing scenes because I am know little to nothing about Paris or its architecture. I adored some cute scenes littered here and there, but I was glad when the book was done.

There were moments when I was annoyed with Anna but also times where I empathsized with her (when her family situation was explained). While I do understand the allure with St. Clair (he is British)...I just wish he acted sooner to end his relationship with his girlfriend. But of course, that extra level of drama needed to be there.

I did enjoy some parts of the book, but just not enough to get me attached to the story. Now if the book was a slow gradual romance then I probably would have enjoyed this more. Otherwise 3 stars out of 5.